Monday, January 31, 2011

Excerpt Monday: Beyond the Dream Catcher by Rita Hestand

Beyond the Dream Catcher by Rita Hestand

 Excerpt:
Her lips trembled as she touched her mouth to his. Warmth like summer sunshine stunned his senses. A sweetness never imagined whispered his name, as she pulled away and stared into his confusion. Had he imagined her actions?

"Who are you…. ich-que? Your kiss is like mon-nit-to a-ta-wa-chie, heaven," Chase Rivers demanded, his voice bold, and his eyes boring into the figure of the woman with silent appreciation. "What do you want with me, why do you look into my soul as though you know me?"

"We will soon know each other, I am Katherine…" She gasped, her eyes searching his in wonderment. Golden flecks in fawn brown eyes softened on him, her tender smile spreading and radiating her face. Long limbed and graceful, she stood poised. Her long brown hair fell past her waist, her serene smile radiating a sunshine all her own.

Now his glance filled with amazement and awe as she opened her arms to him. He wanted to go into her arms, but Chase knew nothing of this woman. His cynical nature held him back, but it took more effort than relenting.

"Where are you from?" he murmured as he came closer, wanting assurance of her reality. "I have never seen you before."

"I come from Texas,” she said breathlessly. "I'm on the Butterfield's Stage Line." Chase pondered the information, intrigued by her proud nature. It made no sense to him. The Butterfield Stage Line, created by a dreamer, Mr. Butterfield, was a death trap the Comanche intended to destroy.

"Why are you here? Why do you invade my dreams?" He asked in a hushed whisper, not wanting to scare her off, but still skeptical of her.

"I have not invaded. I wait for your welcome. It's your dream, not mine. You called my spirit…" Her shy smile filled his heart.

"I called no one." Chase watched her with curiosity and trepidation. And yet, she somehow beckoned him. He didn't like what she did to him.

She turned away slightly at his remark, a tear in the corner of her eye almost spilling. Instant sadness surrounded him. Her smile faded, the sunshine replaced by darkness now, as though night had descended. But it could not be. How could light ebb so quickly in the middle of the day? He'd just eaten; it was barely past noon. Loneliness engulfed his heart. He stared at her, bewildered. What kind of prophet caused the sun not to shine?

"Then I must go." Her sadness engulfed him, as though his rejection had caused her hurt. But how could he hurt her? He did not know her.

Chase felt her pain as if it were his own. Her loneliness, too. But even more, her hopelessness. What manner of vision could this be? He refused to carry it, rejecting it. Yet because he had glimpsed it, he knew he would not forget it. He would carry it forever in the deepest, darkest part of his being.

17 comments:

  1. Rita,

    I can't wait to get this one, very nice excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for featuring this. I just found out through my Google Alerts. I appreciate it.

    Love and blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hales for coming by. It's a nice surprise for me. I hope you enjoy it. I want you to check out my next one from Decadent and let me know what you think. It's not out yet, but I'll let you know when it comes out, Love Rules. I want your opinion!

    Blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rita,
    Wow, this sounds like a winner. Intriguing excerpt that begs for the book to be read. Yes. On my TBB list.
    Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Maureen, that was fast. I just found out about it, Thanks for taking the time to stop off. I appreciate your support, all of you.

    Blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Sounds intriguing. I don't usually read this type, but I may have to make an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I know about that Sweater Curse! Thanks for stopping by. And Lorrie, I hope you enjoy it. I'm doing a spin off of this one now, so wish me luck.

    Love and blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks JM that's a lovely compliment.

    Love and blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very intriguing excerpt, Rita. What a nice surprise to have on a Monday morning!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ksathleen, yes it was unexpected. Glad my Google Alerts work.

    Book Town really is a great place. I've been a member here for some time.

    Love and blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I see you comment that you were going to do a spin off on Beyond the Dreamcatcher? Wonderful. I hope to see it out in the near future. I know it will be super great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, Sarah I'm doing Lee Nelson's story next. I'm working on it now. Got it nearly half written. Lee is the young soldier in Beyond the Dream Catcher that is caught up in the plight and nearly killed. Thanks for asking.
    Love and blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting excerpt, Rita. Thanks for inviting me to read it. I wish you great success with this book. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the wonderful comments and taking the time to stop off. I know how busy everyone is. It is appreciated. Thanks to Book Town for having this feature and to my publisher for publishing this book too.

    Love and blessings
    Rita

    ReplyDelete